Then Jesus, crying out with a loud voice, said, “Father, into your hands I commend my Spirit.” Having said this, he breathed his last.
Luke 23: 46
Here are some thoughts and questions for your consideration this week:
- Try to set aside fifteen minutes.
- “Pick a time, pick a place, and then show up.” (Timothy Jones in Workaday Prayers)
- Reread the above gospel selection. Be attentive to the scene, imagining it, putting yourself at the foot of the cross. You may want to speak with Jesus.
- Be grateful for the Spirit’s gift: that you desire to pray.
- Recall the deep relationship Jesus had with his Father.
- Consider world events. Focus on one picture or one story that touches your heart and pray for those people, entrusting them to God’s care.
- Whenever you feel that life is beating you, you might find consolation in Psalm 31.
Fifth Week of Lent: The Sixth Word – “Father, into your hands I commend my Spirit.”